While governments across America grapple with the affordable housing crisis, the District of Columbia continues doubling down on its commitment to providing safe, sanitary, and affordable housing for residents at all income levels.
As a member of the Committee on Housing, Councilmember McDuffie helps shape policies that unite tenants and housing providers, make homeownership attainable for first-time homebuyers, and provide assistance for residents with fixed and low incomes.
Councilmember McDuffie is also aware of the increasing need to assist neighbors experiencing homelessness and offer them a dignified pathway to housing security.
- Authoring and passing legislation to prohibit housing providers from denying prospective tenants’ housing applications due to their criminal background or arrest history.
- Passing legislation to guarantee affordable housing for lower-income households when a private developer purchases District-owned land.
- Passing legislation to regulate short-term rentals, which prevents bad actors from purchasing and converting multiple properties to short-term rentals and ultimately dwindling the District’s housing supply.
- Authoring and passing the Expanding Access to Justice Act which created the “Civil Gideon” program guaranteeing free legal representation for low-income residents in the District of Columbia’s landlord-tenant court.
- Supports annual budget funding for the Housing Production Trust Fund and Affordable Housing Preservation Fund, major tools for producing and preserving affordable housing in the District of Columbia.