Friday, September 29
Reclaiming Our Community:
Press Conference, Walk, Sleep Out for Peace, Solidarity, & Solutions
LED BY: Councilmember Kenyan R. McDuffie, Beacon House, Rodney Cephas, Ricardo Duren, Silas Grant, Tony Lewis, Jr., Kenneth Ward, and Paul Winestock
Download a PDF of this flyer you can print at home.
Washington, D.C. – In light of recent tragic murders in Ward 5, Councilmember Kenyan R. McDuffie, Rodney Cephas, Ricardo Duren, Silas Grant, Tony Lewis, Jr., Kenneth Ward, and Paul Winestock will hold press conference and peace walk, ending with a ‘Sleep Out For Peace, Solidarity, and Solutions’ in the Brentwood park at 13th Street NE and Downing Street NE, the location of Zaire Kelly’s death.
- Councilmember Kenyan R. McDuffie, Ward 5
- Rodney Cephas, Athletic & Mentoring Programs Director, Beacon House
- Ricardo Duren, Community Leader
- Silas Grant, Community Leader
- Tony Lewis, Jr., Community Leader and Author
- Kenneth Ward, Executive Director, College Bound
- Paul Winestock, Community Leader
Press Conference will take place: Friday, September 29 at 8:00 PM
Approximate arrival time at sleep out location: 9:00 p.m.
- Press conference will take place at the triangle park at 6th St NE & Edgewood St NE
- The community walk will proceed from the location of the press conference at approximately 8:30 PM
- Walk Route (see map below):
- Leaving the park, the participants will walk to Franklin St NE, continuing east on Franklin St NE across the bridge to the intersection of 14th St NE and Girard St NE
- Walk will continue south on 14th St NE, across Rhode Island Ave NE, through the Brentwood neighborhood. South on Montana Ave NE to Saratoga Ave to 14th St to Downing St, ending at the park at 13th St NE and Downing St NE
SLEEP OUT LOCATION:
- Green space at 13th Street NE and Downing Street NE
- Press conference will have a podium and amplified sound
Please note the exact route of the walk may change as circumstance dictate